Sunday, December 16, 2012

The Final Post

German 110 was a pleasant surprise. I will admit that the class hours got to be long but I was use to night classes and the time would sometimes pass faster than normal. I had a great interest in each of the topics we covered. I also thought it was very interesting to have the class divided into groups to teach the rest of the class about the topic and subtopics we were assigned. I loved all of the movies we watched or were given to watch. Professor Roland chose to take a very unique approach to the learning with blogging, which I have never done before.

Throughout this semester, I have learned way more about Germany, it's culture, politics, and history, than I was expecting. This course caught my eye, not only because it was a general elective, but the fact that most of my heritage is German. My mother is 100% German and my father about half German. We have different German traditions we do in our household (more so around Christmas). My mom also likes to bake and eat some traditional German food. My favorite part of the course was when we focused on the youth and culture, especially that of Berlin. It was very interesting to watch the movie, Berlin Calling, and get a glimpse into the fast lifestyle of Berlin. Comparing Berlin to the United States was very different. The culture in Berlin is much more relaxed and open. Things are more culturally excepted there than in the U.S. Berlin would be a very fun and interesting place to visit.

Some of the other topics that we covered were; All Quiet on the Western Front, German political parties, Baader-Meinhof, the 16 German states, German fine arts, media, literature, and etc. Each topic proved to gain more interest from the class. All Quiet on the Western Front, proved to be a very good book too. I sometimes am a little skeptical when professors tell me that I will like their books assigned, but this book did exceed my expectations. Never judge a book by it's cover, right? All in all, this class was very fun and made me have the itch to travel to Germany sometime in the near future. Professor Roland is so knowledgable, not only about Germany, but many other topics. It was great to hear his opinions and facts during class. I am so glad that I decided to sign up for German 112 for one of my general electives. It was an awesome class and took a new refreshing approach to learning in the classroom.


No comments:

Post a Comment